Sunday, December 11, 2011

Rearranging Mama's Bedroom and Its New Floors

My mom is 93 years old and she rotates among us 5 brothers and sisters in 4 states, but more often among us 3 sisters. She is with my sister in IL right now but when she is here, this is the bedroom I designated for her.

It used to be carpeted. Before she left in August, her toilet overflowed and by the time we discovered it, the water had already seeped through the walls and damaged the hardwood floors in the hallway and also some carpeted areas including this, her bedroom. We moved all of the furniture from her bedroom into the other 2 guest rooms and her bathroom to prepare for the floor installation.

I had an overnight guest laast night, my ex co worker and her daughter, who would need the guest rooms so I asked the floor guy to do ma's floors first so I can move back the furniture to get the other guest rooms ready for our guests.


Finally this morning, it was finished. I hurriedly put it back together and cleared the other 2 bedrooms of the extra stuff.


The bedroom floor did not get done until 11:30 AM and our guests arrived before 2 PM. So you can just imagine me and the floor guy moving really fast, cleaning, making the bed and putting this room together and getting the other 2 rooms ready for the guests, but we got it done. I saw this opportunity to move furniture around. The bed used to be on the left wall, now it's between the 2 windows, and I moved the armoire on the far right wall.




Carpet is gone and has been replaced by redwood oak hardwood floors. We have a alligator covered trunk that goes in front of the bed but we did not move it back there. I sent for my mom and dad's larger antique woodcarved cedar chest from the Philippines and it just arrived yesterday, so I think I will put that instead but it still needs to be cleaned. The hinges got messed up during transit also so it needs to be repaired first. It was a wedding gift to them by a politician. If my father is still alive, they would have been married for 75 years now.





I also moved the leather chair and ottoman to the left wall. It used to be between the windows where the bed is now.


I left the Norman Rockwell "Mother and Daughter" plates on that wall.


I placed this double hobnail hurricane lamp and moved the little bunny painting and the peacock with feather balls to the top of the armoire.

This is where I do my sewing. My mom always enjoy the company, except I can never get done because she keeps asking me questions, lol. I also like to hang religious items here because she is very religious. She is always touching them and making the sign of the cross.


There's the door to ma's bathroom, where all the problem started. Although there must have been 2 inches of water in there, the tile was not damaged at all.

The big picture on the left table was my mom at 18.


I moved the big bunny oil painting here too.


There is still a lot of work to be done but I feel so much better seeing one room completed. The back hallway is almost done and the big hallway with adjoining bathroom and closet is half done. We are having second thoughts, whether or not, to replace the carpet in the home office. We have all the wood but it will be so much work moving the heavy wall unit, file cabinets and disconnecting 2 big desktop computers, printer and a TV. The carpet does not really look bad at all and it matches the one in the master bedroom that adjoins the room. What do you all think?

Thank you all for stopping by. I am linking with


Susan for Metamorphosis Monday at http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/


Cielo's Show Off Your Cottage Monday at http://houseinroses.blogspot.com/


Marty for Tabletop Tuesday at http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/




Thank you, lovely ladies, for hosting. We appreciate all your extra work.

34 comments:

Olive said...

The floor looks wonderful and I love the bunny painting and photo of your mom. It is so good you still have her with you and that you all take care of her.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Fabulous floors, Christine! She will love it! Catching up...gorgeous tablescape! Winterberry is one of my favorites! So pretty and festive! Love it! Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Pretty - your guests will enjoy occupying that room. Your table setting in the previous post is really pretty. You can never go wrong using red and green at Christmas.
No advice about the floor. I have put off a major project here, just because it is going to be a pain moving furniture, etc.

Richard Cottrell said...

looks wonderful. I never liked carpet, but do love the feeling under one's feet. Your room is very inviting and what a job to replace all these floors and move and move and move things. Oh dear friend. I know what you are going through. Richard from My Old Historic House.

Barb said...

Christine, the room looks gorgeous and I know your mother will enjoy it. The floors are lovely!! Going to show this to my hubby!

Barb ♥

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I don't like wall to wall carpet so your floors are beautiful my friend and the room looks glorious! I love wooden floors and almost everything wooden pannelings, furniture, floors, kitchen, etc., as you know we both do! Love your bunny painting too. Your mom was so pretty as you are. Have fun with your guests, tomorrow I'm going to help my daughter Sofia move to her new home, so I will post later. I have a new post too for MM. Lots of hugs.
FABBY

Chubby Chieque said...

Wow! Finished so soon, huh? Hope di mo pina-bilisan talaga §:-)

Floor looks good as well as Mama's new revamping room. Lucky her, have a daughter like you.

Hugs to all...
/chie

Olga Ю said...

The bedroom was more comfortable than ever before. You are a wonderful daughter! I wish you health to your mom!
Olga, St. Petersburg

Debbiedoos said...

How lucky is yoru Mama!~ How cozy and beautiful Christine. The floors are awesome! I want to do this someday in our room too.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

OMG Christine, I just saw your comments... this is getting weirded by the minute...maybe we were sisters in another life?! Lol.
Luv ya! FABBY

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

So glad you got the floor back together, Christine. It is very pretty, as well as your mom's room. Love that bunny painting above her bed. She is a very fortunate lady to have you all taking care of her!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Christine, I love the new lay out.. the rooms seems so much larger now. The floors are fabulous, I know she's going to love the changes when she sees them. hugs ~lynne~

Marigene said...

Beautiful room, Christine! Love your new floors. We are thinking of doing the same with some of the rooms here that are carpeted, this room sure is inspiration.

Gloria said...

Oh, Christine! It all looks so lovely, even prettier with the new configuration! Your Mom is going to love it. And that is SO sweet and a sign from God that her and your father's wedding gift trunk arrived today, what a wonderful omen from the good Lord. And, of course, your new floor looks great too!
Best,
Gloria
P.S. If there is no longer carpeting in there, you might want to put down a few throw rugs... Older people tend to slip on a regular floor. Even if she has good shoes or slippers, she might one day forget to put them on and just have on socks and she might slip on the slick floor. Just a thought for you to consider... Hope you don't mind the suggestion. xxoo

Tomarie said...

Christine,
This room looks so inviting! I bet your mom loves staying here! Your floors look gorgeous!!
Laura

Anonymous said...

Gosh Christine it looks like a completely different room with the floors and new layout!! What a pretty place for your mom to enjoy!!

bee blessed
mary

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

The Energizer Bunny doing what she does best - decorating an entire room in a couple of hours! Christine, your floors look beautiful, and the room looks so pretty. I cannot believe how quickly you put all of this together. laurie

Scribbler said...

You are certainly a bundle of energy! The floors are lovely, as is the whole room. I know your mother will enjoy it.

Terri said...

Christine, those floors are beautiful! I'd go ahead and change out the office as well while you're in the middle of the mess. But listen to me spouting out advice, me the tightwad.... LOL

Enjoy every moment with your mom because it is a blessing! I so miss my mom this Christmas....

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

Wow, how did you talk the floor guy into helping you decorate a bedroom! LOL! I like the bed better this way,it makes the room look larger. I know it would be a lot of trouble, but I think you will regret it if you don't extend the flooring to the office and bath.

Marie said...

A very charming bedroom! You are blessed to have your Mom, enjoy every second with her.

Blessings,

Marie

Sweet Meanderings said...

Your Mom has such a beautiful place to stay when she visits! The room (and floor) is so inviting.
Candy

Traci said...

The floor is so pretty. It turned out great!

Sonny G said...

Your room turned out so pretty.Love the new floors~!

Debbie said...

Christine, the floor is beautiful. What a transformation! I love the way it looks with the current furniture arrangement, too. I love that you put Norman Rockwell mother/daughter plates on the wall of her room.

And I REALLY love that she travels from child to child. What a wonderful family you must have.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

What a wonderful room and the floors are just beautiful! Christine, you and your siblings sound like wonderful children to your mother. How nice to hear that you join together to take good care of her.

Diann said...

You did a beautiful job on this bedroom Christine! The floors are gorgeous and the room is so inviting!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh, your little caterpillar truly did turn into a beautiful butterfly sweetie! What a magnificent transformation.

Pat yourself on the back for me 'cause ya did a bang up job.

God bless and have yourself a beautiful day!

If ya get a chance...giveaway...my place...ya'll come. I'll leave a light on for ya! Heeehehe!!! :o)

Sue said...

It looks beautiful and I can't believe how fast you must have worked. How wonderful that you will have something to put in your mother's room that was a wedding gift of theirs. How did you even get it here from so far away? By ship?

We have a mix of carpet, tile and hardwood in our house. We will be replacing the carpet after we lose our older dog (she is 15 1/2) and hopefully the new pup will be completely trained by then. We are trying to decide the same thing...more carpet or all wood.

Bunny Jean said...

Hi Christine!

The layout of your guestroom is much better now. Since the bed is the focal point it is better when centered in the room whenever possible.

I also love the large picture above the bed... I wonder why :]

Thanks for joining my Bunny Hop!

xoxo Bunny Jean
Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party!

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

What an inviting space you prepared for your Mom. I especially am drawn to the painting on the large easel in the corner. Enjoy the upcoming visit!

Visiting from the Bunny Hop, Debra

Always Nesting said...

Beautiful, just beautiful!!!~ Oh how I would love to have floors that looked (and shined) like that...my heart be still.

Amy said...

I love the way you rearrange your Mom's room. Gorgeous red wood floor as well. :)

Queenie's Vintage Finds said...

I love those oak floors in your mama's room Christine...what a gorgeous makeover...everything is just so cozy and pretty in there...I love hardwood floors, and those bunny paintings are so precious... I once saw a mini oil painting of bunnies at Tuesday Morning store and I always wish I'd grabbed it up...lucky you for finding those for your room, because I have never seen any again anywhere. I hope you and your mama enjoy that new room....I know you will :)

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday